Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Kamala Das- Madhavikkutti - Kamala Suraiya

I was away from the blog/net world and can't believe to have come back to this. This iconoclastic writer that I admire much has passed away. Any Malayali who likes books could hardly miss Madhavikkutti's books. Had to leave this quick but respectful note remembering this great author's life and contributions. I still have many books left to read. Her childhood memories are the ones that I love the most among her works. Read more here, here and here.

2 comments:

Reflections said...

I've learnt 1 or 2 poems of hers in school.
A yr back I even watched an interview with her on Asianet but thts all I knw abt her.

lan said...

i came to know madhavikkutti's writings through the serialized childhood stories that used to come in mathrubhhoomi weekly. they had a freshness to them that was impossible to ignore. they are still my favorite among all her works but i also came to admire her for her courage in standing up for herself and her ability to express herself in an almost lyrical manner. time does not wait for anyone and these things happen but it also does not diminish the value of what is lost.